Reading in Key Stage 1
At Merton Bank we aim for all our children to become fluent, confident readers who are passionate about reading. Children who read regularly or are read to regularly have the opportunity to open the doors to so many different worlds! More importantly, reading will give your child the tools to become independent life-long learners.
We aim to achieve this together through:
- Read Write Inc, a program to help to your child read at school
- Encouraging children to develop a love of books by reading to them daily, at home and at school
- Giving children access to a wide range of books at school and at home
In Key Stage One we use Read Write Inc Phonics (RWI) to give your child the best possible start with their reading. Your child will bring a book bag book home on a Monday. This will be changed every Monday. Your child will bring their group storybook home on a Thursday. This will be changed every Thursday.
Our free communication app allows us to provide parents with instant access to our important messages and up to date school information.
Please contact the school office if you have not received your personal invite.
Things to remember
- Please continue to support your child’s learning at home. It is expected your child reads 3x per week at home. Please record this in your child’s reading record. Thank you for supporting your children at home. It truly is appreciated.
- Your child needs to bring their reading book, book bag and water bottle into school daily.
- All children in Key Stage One qualify for a free school meal. Please enquire at the office for more information.
- Milk and fruit are provided daily. Please pay for your child’s milk (costing £2 per term) termly in a sealed envelope.
On Fridays your child has PE so they will need to come to school in their PE kits (No football kits, rugby kits)
PE kit is black shorts with a white t shirt. A black tracksuit or leggings can be worn over this during the colder months. Children need to wear black pumps for indoor PE and trainers for outdoor PE.
Children can wear trainers on their PE day and keep pumps in their book bag to change into.
All of your child’s home learning can be found on their Tapestry Online Journal
Any live sessions and meetings will take place through your child’s Microsoft Teams account
Please make sure that you can log into both of these accounts. If you require any assistance please contact the school office.
Breakfast club is open from 8.00am, school will begin at 8.45am for all children. Year 2 will enter through the main entrance
Collecting your child
You can collect your child from the school playground which can be accessed from the Roper Street gate. The gate will be open between 3.15 and 3.25pm each day for you to pick up your child.
Pupils do not need to have a pencil case of their own in school. A book bag and packed lunch bag will suffice. Children need to bring their own water bottles and take them home each day.
Attendance at school is compulsory
We have lots of great opportunities planned for the year and we are looking forward to sharing our adventures with you. We consolidate and build on our learning from Year 1 and prepare for our KS1 assessments. We continue to develop into respectful, hard working children who always give ‘never less than their best’. We look forward to seeing each child grow and flourish as the year progresses.